Melrose Cricket Club is a friendly village cricket club, situated in a beautiful location at the foot of the Eildon Hills in the Scottish Borders.
Cricket was first recorded in the area as being played at Darnick at the Highfield Academy a local school in the 1850’s. From 1933 onwards the present site, one of the most scenic in the Borders, was leased from General Sir Maxwell Scott, the great great grandson of novelist and poet Sir Walter Scott of nearby Abbotsford. At this time, it was often used to host an Abbotsford team which played against teams raised from other estates in the area and teams from Melrose itself.
The Borders General Hospital, as seen in the photo, was built next to the cricket pitch in the 1980s. Paradoxically this development actually increased the pitch area! A new hospital car park was built next to the pitch in 2009 which has also improved cricket parking. The club joined the East of Scotland Cricket League in 2013, having played for many years in the Border League, and has progressed steadily since. As of 2018 we play in Division 4.
How to Find Us
The clubhouse is located behind Busy Bees nursery, south of the A6091 in Melrose. The club address is:
Melrose Cricket Club
To reach us:
- Follow signs to the Borders General Hospital from the Melrose bypass.
- Take the second left and proceed into the car park.
- Follow the small turn to the left of the nursery building to locate the cricket pitch and car park.
If you need to contact the club, please go to the CONTACT page.